There are a handful of plants that have been thoroughly studied for their health benefits and turmeric is one of them. Both Turmeric and its active constituents, most notably curcumin, have proven time and time again of being loaded with numerous active constituents abundant in health inducing benefits including deep anti-oxidant activity, immune and digestive support, wound healing, skin supportive, and antimicrobial properties to name a few. Today I’m sharing 5 benefits of turmeric for glowing skin from the inside out so let’s dive in.
Get glowing skin
- Turmeric has specifically been proven to deeply support anti-inflammatory effects throughout the body. This makes turmeric supportive in healing the root of many common skin conditions. Turmeric is effective in treating inflammatory skin conditions including eczema, psoriasis, and acne by soothing, cooling and nourishing skin through both internal and external approaches.
- The active constituents found in both turmeric and isolated curcumin have been shown to provide strong anti-oxidant properties that protect cells DNA from damage. This overall assists in keeping skin healthy through protecting the integrity of the skin from free radicals that destroy its texture, tissue and elasticity.
- In Ayurveda, Turmeric is considered a bitter, improving digestion and reducing bloating. Turmeric helps in releasing bile from the gallbladder, which helps to digest food, especially fats and fat soluble vitamins. These digestive properties are helpful in supporting gut health for clear complexions.
- Turmeric also improves gut health by promoting gut microbiome and increasing protective gastric wall mucous. This acts a protective layer from toxins we ingest, keeping them moving through the body’s detoxification process and excreted as waste. Gut health is a foundational aspect of clear and healthy skin.
- Applying turmeric topically to the skin overall increases brightness, again, due to its high anti-oxidant qualities. This can be effective in lessening left over post hyperpigmentation from acne scars and supporting clarity of the complexion. The activity of turmeric, notably curcumin, may inhibit tyrosinase, inhibiting melanin production and working to decrease pigmentation.
How to snag the 5 benefits of Turmeric for glowing skin
Turmeric Face Mask
Inspired by my love for Ayurvedic Beauty, this mask is fabulous for a decadent facial treat, as well as in particular for inflammatory skin conditions, as both the greek yogurt and turmeric work to soothe the skin. Combine 1 teaspoon turmeric with 1 tablespoon plain organic yogurt to create a paste. Spread onto cleansed skin and leave on up to 30 minutes. (Always do a patch test first) Rinse masque off well in shower and follow with cotton pad dampened with toner for added removal of any residual mask, complete with your product applications.
In case you’re wondering, turmeric will not stain your skin when mixed with yogurt. However, I definitely recommend to use an old towel and pillow case with this facial mask. Turmeric pigment spreads easily and can stain porous material. I always switch out my pillow case the night of my turmeric masks too. Oil from our skin secretes while we sleep and will shed any turmeric it may have melded with from the mask. Also be sure to check out my Summer Skincare Tips post where I again share my love for cooling yogurt masks. So lovely for most all skin types!
Turmeric Golden Milk
Whisk 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup milk of choice, 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric powder in a small saucepan. Add in choice of black pepper, ginger, honey, cinnamon for added flavor. Bring to a low simmer until flavors have fused, about 3-5 minutes.
Turmeric can be used in cooking, smoothies, raw juices, drink recipes and more. It can also be found in supplement form and herbal tinctures.
Megafood is my number one supplement brand choice, as they have top notch formulation and manufacturing practices. They work directly with organic farmers in sourcing practices and they are advocates in the fight against glyphosate, keeping their products glyphosate residue free. Glyphosate is a chemical antibiotic that has been linked to cancers and is highly toxic. You can read more about Glyphosate and Megafood’s fierce stance against it here.
Banyan Botanicals is my go to for powered turmeric and they are a wonderful Ayurvedic resource as well.
P.S. – For more in depth recipes, rituals and transformative skincare, I invite you to join me inside Radiant Beauty Collective. If you are ready to go deeper through aspects of mind, body and spirit to truly transform your skin and selfcare from the inside out through a slow beauty infused life, you’ve come to the right place! You can jump on my waitlist here to be the first to know when doors open. I can’t wait to see you inside!